„People think I'm eccentric, cranky. If I'm eccentric because I've never been into mainstream things, then I am eccentric.“
— Van Morrison Northern Irish singer-songwriter and musician 1945
An Oral History of Popular Music (1989)
— Bertrand Russell logician, one of the first analytic philosophers and political activist 1872 - 1970
"A Liberal Decalogue" http://www.panarchy.org/russell/decalogue.1951.html, from "The Best Answer to Fanaticism: Liberalism", New York Times Magazine (16/December/1951); later printed in The Autobiography of Bertrand Russell (1969), vol. 3: 1944-1967, pp. 71-2
Contexto: The Ten Commandments that, as a teacher, I should wish to promulgate, might be set forth as follows:
1. Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
2. Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
3. Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
4. When you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your husband or your children, endeavour to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
5. Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
6. Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
7. Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
8. Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent that in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
9. Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
10. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool's paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.
— Bob Marley Jamaican singer, songwriter, musician 1945 - 1981
„We are OK;
In a misguided sadist way;
We are OK.
We are OK;
In a disabled, veteran's way;
— Daryl Palumbo Vocalist musician 1979
— Jenny Holzer American conceptual artist 1950
„We don't have to reveal everything to each other. It's OK to be private. It's OK to say no. It's OK to say, 'I'm not going to share that.“
— Sophie Kinsella, libro Finding Audrey
Fuente: Finding Audrey
„Never to conform to fashion from fear of eccentricity, never to be eccentric from fear of conformity.“
— Steven Brust American fantasy and science fiction author 1955
Paths of the Dead (2002)
Contexto: To seek understanding before taking action, yet to trust my instincts when action is called for. Never to avoid danger from fear, never to seek out danger for its own sake. Never to conform to fashion from fear of eccentricity, never to be eccentric from fear of conformity.
— Neil Simon playwright, writer, academic 1927 - 2018
„Annie, are you OK?
Annie, are you OK?
Are you OK, Annie?
You've been hit by, you've been struck by
A smooth criminal.“
— Michael Jackson American singer, songwriter and dancer 1958 - 2009
— Kenneth Minogue Australian political theorist 1930 - 2013
How Civilizations Fall
„Instead of exhibiting talent in the hope that the world would forgive their eccentricities, they have exhibited only their eccentricities, in the hope that the world would give them credit for talent.“
— Charles Caleb Colton British priest and writer 1777 - 1832
Vol. I; XVI
— Richelle Mead, libro Last Sacrifice
Fuente: Last Sacrifice
— Anthony Burgess English writer 1917 - 1993
Fiction, The Right to an Answer (1960)
— Lorraine Hansberry playwright and writer 1930 - 1965
— Anton Chekhov, libro Gooseberries
— Ilona Andrews American husband-and-wife novelist duo
Fuente: Gunmetal Magic
„Remember above all to be true to yourself. It is ok to act and to pretend that something is ok, but admit the truth to yourself.“
— Nigel Cumberland British author and leadership coach 1967
Fuente: Your Job-Hunt Ltd – Advice from an Award-Winning Asian Headhunter (2003), Successful Recruitment in a Week (2012) https://books.google.ae/books?idp24GkAsgjGEC&printsecfrontcover&dqnigel+cumberland&hlen&saX&ved0ahUKEwjF75Xw0IHNAhULLcAKHazACBMQ6AEIGjAA#vonepage&qnigel%20cumberland&ffalse, Managing Teams in a Week (2013) https://books.google.ae/books?idqZjO9_ov74EC&printsecfrontcover&dqnigel+cumberland&hlen&saX&ved0ahUKEwjF75Xw0IHNAhULLcAKHazACBMQ6AEIIDAB#vonepage&qnigel%20cumberland&ffalse, Secrets of Success at Work – 50 techniques to excel (2014) https://books.google.ae/books?id4S7vAgAAQBAJ&printsecfrontcover&dqnigel+cumberland&hlen&saX&ved0ahUKEwjF75Xw0IHNAhULLcAKHazACBMQ6AEIJjAC#vonepage&qnigel%20cumberland&ffalse, p.23
„Pop music often tells you everything is OK, while rock music tells you that it's not OK, but you can change it.“
— Bono Irish rock musician, singer of U2 1960
Fuente: On the Move
— Avner Strauss Israeli musician 1954
Introduction to Money, Power, and Honor, In Jerusalem, the Skies are Lower (1989).